Hurricane Harvey relief team
Northside is putting together a team to serve Hurricane Harvey victims in Houston through Send Relief. Volunteers are needed for basic cleanup and mud out type work. There are two opportunities to serve:
- Weekday Trip // October 2-6
- Weekend Trip // October 6-8
- 1,000’s of people need help (approximately 180,000 homes flooded)
- 100s of churches need help (almost 2,000 SBC churches in the flood area)
Infrastructure in place:
- Sleep in churches, cots provided at some locations (you may bring cots or single air mattresses)
- Send Relief will provide (meals, showers, work assignments, and tools-bring your own if possible)
- Travel is your responsibility (to and from your home and while here)
- No experience/training necessary. Onsite orientation provided once you arrive
- Leadership will be onsite to provide any instruction needed
- The minimum age for this trip is 14 years old
- Mud-out homes and churches: Assess needs; remove furniture, appliances, flooring, household items, sheetrock, insulation, etc.
- Team leaders: Skilled contractors, Trained disaster leadership to supervise volunteer work teams.
- Site Support: Assist in administration, inventory, warehouse, logistics including kitchen support, preparing meals, cleaning, washing dishes, etc.
- Emotional and Spiritual Care: provide a shoulder to cry on, hear their story, and share the hope that is found only in Christ appropriately.
- Participate in the Gospel Conversations Challenge – (GC - 60): Have a Gospel Conversation with someone and encourage other believers by sharing about your Gospel Conversation.