Name a time when someone served you unexpectedly when you didn’t deserve it?
2. What (did the text say):
- What did Jesus do when he "knew that the Father had handed all things over to him” (John 13:2-4).
- What is Peter’s response to Jesus’ actions? If you were Peter, what would have been your response?
- What is the command Jesus tells his disciples in 13:14?
- 13:20 says: "I tell you the solemn truth, whoever accepts the one I send accepts me, and whoever accepts me accepts the one who sent me.” Who is the one who sent Jesus? What is this verse saying?
3. What Else (does the Bible say in relation to historical / literary context)
- John's Gospel concludes Jesus' signs with chapter 12. Chapter 13 starts the final passion week.
- The NASB Study Bible's footnote makes the interesting comment "the Greek noun agapē ('love') and the verb agapaō ('love') occur only eight times in chs. 1-12 but 31 times in chs. 13-17."
- The historical context of John 13 can be seen in Luke 22:24. The disciples were still arguing over who was the greatest.
- Compare 13:8 to Matthew 16:21-23. Why is Jesus so adamant with Peter in both of these instances? If foot-washing which they needed to undergo was a metaphor to their acceptance of Jesus' self-sacrifice on the cross, this makes Peter’s initial abhorrence of the act of humiliation by his master all the more significant in context; it also explains Jesus’ seemingly harsh reply to Peter.
- Read Philippians 2:4-7. How do these verses add to your understanding of the story of Jesus washing the disciples' feet.
4. Now What (should we do as a response to the text)
- What were some of the applications Dustin mentioned in his sermon?
- How can our community group serve the area around us? How can this point people to God?
FAMILY DISCUSSION GUIDE
- Why do you think Jesus washed the disciples feet?
- What are other times in the Bible that Jesus served people?
- Talk about a time when a member of the family served you? How did that make you feel?
- How do you think we can serve members in our family?
- How can we as a family serve the church? Our friends?